The Dorothy Day Jemison Theater (DJD) at Alabama School of Fine Arts (ASFA) is proud to announce a new digital performance series through a program of one-time commissioning grants for artists in Birmingham or Alabama. Grants will support the creation of world premieres of short-form content and $1,000 will be awarded to each of the selected professional artists. The proposed work must be original and created specifically for this grant program. Grants will be awarded for pieces that include or combine the following art forms: theatre, music, visual arts, dance, and creative writing.
Applicants may choose their own themes and are encouraged to create work that challenges and speaks to our world, our moment in time, and our community. Applicants must also be Alabama residents and over the age of 18. After selection, The DJD will work with the awardees in curating and producing the content. All artists will have the option of presenting the work on the DJD stage and utilizing the theater's lighting and sound capabilities. The work will be recorded without an audience under current COVID-19 protocols.
- Up to four grants available
- $1,000 award for each selected artist
- Work must be original and created specifically for this grant program
- All work will be presented online through the DJD Theater website and social channels and performed either live from the DJD stage (following safety protocols without a live audience) or recorded by the artists from an alternative platform
- Artists may submit more than one idea, but only one idea will be chosen for any given artist
- The final products should be between 5 and 15 minutes
- Grants will be awarded for works that fall into the following categories:
- Theatre - Examples include a new play, one-person show, performance art
- Creative Writing - Examples include poetry, narrative, spoken word or storytelling
- Dance - Examples include solo dance pieces in any style
- Visual Art - Examples include painting, mixed media, sculpture, etc. The work would be unveiled during the project and may include a discussion of the themes or talk with the artist
- Music - Examples include instrumental or vocal performance of any genre